JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Uninivted by Sophie Jordan

Uninvited - Sophie Jordan

Review can be seen on Books and Swoons .

*I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss but it did not influence this review in any way.*

My rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars

The concept of this story really attracted me. The premise of being deemed a killer even though the person hasn't done anything is very intriguing, especially once we get to know Davy Hamilton. She seems to have the perfect life: she has a great family life, an attentive boyfriend and great friends and she's also a musical prodigy. Then she gets the news that changes her life. She has the kill gene that says that at some point she will kill someone. The book follows her with how her life changes.

Davy's life is turned upside down and I felt sympathetic towards her and wondered how I would react in her position. I think her confusion and want for everything to go back to the way it was before is very normal and understandable. Sophie Jordan did a great job in presenting Davy's feelings of helplessness. I found myself feeling like that as well and I also wondered what would happen to her and how she was going to be able to get out of any trouble that came her way.

I do have to say that the way people treat the carrier, those with the kill gene, is really horrible. And I could be sympathetic because the main character is a carrier and I understand their fear, especially because we are seeing many school shootings in real life as well. But I'm not sure that the way they're isolated and treated as killers already is a good idea. In Davy's case, it very dangerous for her. She is being threatened left and right by carriers as well as non-carriers. Some of the carriers in the book decided that they'll just go right ahead and do what they're being accused of and go on a killing spree. So I feel like in that sense, isolating them is just making it worse.

I really liked this book and the concept but I just couldn't absolutely love it. I am, however, totally curious to see what happens in the next book and what will happen to the rest of these characters.