JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Catch the Sun by Lee Zamloch

Catch the Sun - Lee Zamloch

Review posted on Books and Swoons

**I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review and a tour stop. It did not, however, influence this review in any way.**

I was very surprised when I first started reading Catch the Sun. I found myself engaged in the storytelling, turning page after page trying to find out what would happen next. I thought I knew how it was going to end but the twist totally threw me off and I was left reeling. What really happened? Did Amanda imagined everything?

In the beginning, I found myself tearing up and sympathizing as Amanda and her sister Joanne dealt with the suicide of their mother. However, as we learn more about Amanda, I became irritated about how self-absorbed she was. Apparently, since she was so "sensitive" (as her mother, Edith, puts it) it gave her a way out on leaving all the arrangements to Joanne. And when this was pointed out to her, she ran away crying, leaving everything to be figured out by other people. Again.

This story is told in Amanda's POV as well as in Marilyn's POV. I really enjoyed Marilyn's point of view since it would give us more knowledge on the starlet's life and how it was entwined with Amanda's. I don't know much about Marilyn Monroe's life but I enjoyed how Ms. Zamloch was able to transport us back into Miss. Monroe's life and how authentic it felt.

My only issues with the story were the "woes is me, nobody loves me, men only like me for my body" that both Marilyn and Amanda talked about. I think that so much time was spent whining about everything that I rolled my eyes so many times that I was worried they were going to get stuck that way. They both complained so much about how they were stuck in their vicious cycle and were both so unhappy that I started to force myself to care about it. I just wanted for Amanda to get out of dark clouds and do something for once. Which she does but like I said, I'm still confused with how it ended.

I will probably reread this book again just so I can understand it better and pick up on those clues that I know were right in front of me. And I'm definitely curious about Marilyn Monroe and I would love to learn more about her and her short life.