JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Broken by A.E. Rought

Broken - A.E. Rought

Review can be seen here in Books and Swoons .

**I received an early egalley from Strange Chemistry through NetGalley for an honest review, but it did not influence this review in any way.**

Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5 stars

I found the premise of Broken to be quite intriguing. In fact, throughout the whole story, I found myself curious of what really happened to Daniel and the secrets Alex Frank's dad was hiding. It was because of that that I continued to read until the end.

The position that Emma is in really made me connect with her and I found myself being torn and heartbroken just like she was. I felt her grief and her pain as she dealt with the death of her boyfriend, Daniel. I have to give the author her credit for doing such a great job in portraying Emma's grief so well.

However, I wasn't so surprised when Emma found out about Daniel's ex-best-friend's secrets. I managed to pick up on the hints that were scattered all throughout the book. One of the things that really bothers me when I read is that sometimes somethings happens and "somehow" the characters doesn't pick up on it but the reader does. It makes me wonder whether the author is undermining their reader's intelligence or not.

There was also something about the way the author wrote some parts that had me a little confuse and quite honestly, distracted me from the story. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or not but I'm sure that being pulled away from the story because you're trying a unique way of writing and saying this is not what you want your readers to experience.

Overall, I found the book to be an enjoyable read and full of suspense to keep you turning the page.My only issue with the book was how everything was wrapped up nicely in the end. It was too much of a perfect ending which makes it unrealistic for me. Because of that, I can't give this book a higher rating than 2.5 stars.