JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse

Rockoholic - C.J. Skuse

Review can be seen here on Books and Swoons .

**I received a copy of this book as an egalley from Scholastic through NetGalley but it did not influence this review in any way.**

Now, I'm a fangirl at heart so I was very excited about starting this book. Accidentally kidnapping your celebrity crush + the funnies it bound to ensues = excitement in starting this book! However right from the beginning, Jody, the main character, was a bit too much for me to handle. I understood her devotion to Jackson Gatlin and The Regulators but what she continues to do with and for Jackson, and how she treats Mac (the best friend) really bothered me.

I will admit that Jody starts off as a really immature, irritating and weak girl but she grows into this strong, mature person. She gets her act together by the end of the book but by then it was just too late for me. I just couldn't muster up any sympathy for her. She made Mac believe she was leaving with Jackson until she knew how Mac really felt. She continue acting really petty and was lying until the last possible moment and it became the last straw for me with Jody. I had hoped she would have redeemed herself earlier in the story but it just didn't happen.

Jackson Gatlin, what can I say about Jackson Gatlin? Well, he certainly left a lot to be desired. He was just one big hot mess of a human being and who need a lot more help. I think even some therapy would do him some good.

My favorite character of the whole book is Mac's little sister, Cree. She is super cute and adorable. I totally loved it when Jody would call Mac "Mackenzie" and Cree would be like "No,my Kenzie." So territorial over her big brother, she was so endearing.

I found the book to be a little unrealistic with Jackson's detox, it happened way too fast for me to consider it realistic. And the problem with the reporter, Sally Dinkley, and her causing trouble for Jody and Jackson feels like extra conflict just for the sake of word count.

I thought the book was enjoyable, a little far-fetched at times, but the concept was really fun but since I couldn't click Jody, I can't give this book a higher rating.