JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Ten Girls to Watch - Charity Shumway

Original review was posted on Books and Swoons

My rating 4 out of 5 stars

*I received this egalley from Atria Books through NetGalley but it did not influence this review in any way *

First off, I truly enjoyed Ten Girls to Watch; it was such a fun, and easy read. Dawn is a very likeable protagonist and I enjoyed getting to know her. There were some parts that had me LOL for real and shaking my head in others.

Some of my favorite parts was when Dawn was interviewing the former winners of TGTW and how she treated those women. She spoke to those women as if they were old friends and made them feel comfortable and special and that was when I became Dawn's biggest supporter. I mean, here she was, in a job she had just gotten after months of searching, all the while trying to make ends meet. She could have just done some quick interviews and be done with it, but she dedicated herself and went above and beyond from what she was originally asked for. It made me respect Dawn and see her in a new light.

There were some parts made me irritated and they were whenever she interacted with her ex-boyfriend, Robert. She had no backbone when it came to him and I felt a little put off by that. She just allowed herself to pulled back and forth, as if she were a toy and I tried not to judge her too harshly because what girl hasn't been in that situation before?

Also, the secondary characters are all awesome in their own rights. Lily was the unexpected friend that Dawn and the reader never expected to find. And like Dawn, I kept wanting to hate her but I just wasn't able to. Lily rocks. XADI is a character I was intimidated by but a kick-ass woman I would love to meet and get to know better.

Overall, I think Ms. Shumway did a great job with this novel. She created a main character that I wish I could hang out with while having some coffee at a coffee shop. I think Dawn and I could be really good friends and maybe even roommates! I would be a much better roommate than Sylvia that's for sure.

I may have read the uncorrected copy of this book but I am definitely going to my nearest bookstore and purchasing my own finish copy of the book. And I'll be on the lookout for more of Ms. Shumway's work.