JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry

Original review can be seen on Books and Swoons

I first heard about Pushing the Limits when I was browsing blog during BEA week and I saw a lot of people raving about how good it was and how everyone should read it. Once I saw the synopsis and the cover (the guys towering over the girl and his hand on her waist? One of my kryptonite), I wanted to read it myself. The story is about Echo (love the name) and Noah and how they seem so wrong for each other, however, their attraction towards each other keeps bringing them together.

Noah and Echo are as opposite as two people can get. Echo is the good and smart girl, the one that always does what she is told. Noah is the bad boy (if you can really call him a bad boy) from the wrong side of the tracks. They both have their own thing in life that can tear them apart but it is those differences that bring them together.

The story is told in both Echo's and Noah's point of view, which normally is tricky to do and something I'm not always a fan of. However, I felt like Ms. McGarry did a great job in doing first person point of view with two different characters. I wasn't confused or felt like I missed something and was told the same thing twice.

One of the things I really enjoyed from this book was Echo's and Noah's sarcastic banter and their sweet moments. One of my favorite parts was during Echo's birthday and she was at a party with some friends and Noah happens to be there.

In a lightning-fast move, he placed both of his hands on the brick wall, caging me with his body. He leaned toward me and my heart shifted into a gear I didn't know existed. His warm breath caressed my neck, melting my frozen skin. I tilted my head, waiting for the solid warmth of his body on mine. I could see his eyes again and those dark orbs screamed hunger .
"I heard a rumor."
"What's that?" I struggled to get out.
"It's your birthday."
Terrified speaking would break the spell, I licked my suddenly dry lips and nodded.
"Happy birthday." Noah drew his lips closer to mine; that sweet musky smell overwhelmed my senses. I could almost taste his lips when he unexpectedly took a step back, inhaling deeply. The cold air slapped me into the land of sober.

Such a butterflies-in-the-stomach moment. I love those. I did felt like their romance happened really fast but it not something that really bugged me.

By the time the book came to a close, I was attached to Noah and Echo. Their chemistry worked well together and I liked how their relationship made them both stronger and didn't hinder their progress toward what they were working for. Noah finally realized that he could trust on people and that it ok to let go of the past. Echo came to termed with what happened with her mom and learned to do what she want to do, paying no mind to others.