JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: In His Sights by Tina Beckett

In His Sights - Tina Beckett

Review originally posted at Books and Swoons

***I received this egalley from Carina Press through NetGalley for an honest review. It did not influence this review in any way.***

My rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars.

The concept of the story was what caught my attention and so I was very happy when I got approve for this title. I love stories that deal with the military, a little bit of action and if you add a hot soldier into the mix, you have my attention. I found the story enjoyable but to quite honest, I found that I didn't care much for either the hero and the heroine, Cole and Callie.

We learn that Cole was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and that he can never sit still and is very impulsive. He doesn't believe in psychiatry and he uses his impulsiveness as an excuse for why he can't have a relationship with a woman. Callie is a surrogate for her late sister and her husband. She is a psychiatrist and for most of the book, I was too irritated with her that I ended up not liking her.

One of the things that really irritated me about Callie was how she behaved. She was captured by a terrorist and threatened with a bomb but when Cole was given orders to kill him, she scolded him for not trying to "seek his humanity." I decided to overlook that, thinking it may have just been a minor blip in Callie's character but I was proven wrong. She wanted to leave money behind for medical supplies, needed some hand sanitizer, using her credit card and calling her brother-in-law even though she knows that Angolan rebels know her by name and are after her. She has no common sense and survival instincts. It felt like Ms. Beckett was trying to show Callie's thoughtful and considerate nature but it just made her irritating and clueless.

Another point that really annoyed me, were all the misunderstanding that Cole and Callie shared. She would say one thing and he would take it the wrong way. He would say something and she would think he meant something completely different. All their misunderstandings were really annoying and pointless and they mostly happened after Callie and Cole slept together. Cole would would back off, acting cold, thinking that he shouldn't get involve with Callie since she's pregnant and is a shrink. Callie would remind herself of her vow to never be with a career military man and would give in to her insecurities. I just wanted to lock them in a room and have them talk their shit out before doing anything else. I'm not a fan of the whole going back and forth repeatedly for no reason and nothing changes until the end of story.

Besides, the previous points I just made, I enjoyed the plot and the suspense. The bad guys were truly scary and the brutality they did to innocent people who came in contact with Cole and Callie was truly horrifying. Being able to read the rebels thoughts and his plans was very dark and scary and at times made me uncomfortable. When we learn the identity of the enemy, I already had my suspicions but I was still surprised as to how everything went down.

I found the ending cute and sweet but I was already feeling very 'meh' about it. I guess after everything that Callie and Cole went through they deserve their happy ending. While I may not have been Callie's biggest fan, I am looking forward to reading more of Ms. Beckett's work.