JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Off Sides (Off Series, #1) by Sawyer Bennett

Off Sides (Off Series, #1) - Sawyer Bennett

Original review can be seen here on Books and Swoons .

A free copy was given to me for review purposes by the author through YA Bound. However, it did not influence this review in any way.

Our rating: 2.5 stars
Goodreads: 3 stars

Nahomi:

When Jenn asked me to read Off Sides and she explained the premise, I thought that it sounded interesting and I decided to give it a shot. Off Sides was a slow start for me. It's written in dual point of views, from both main characters' perspective: Ryan and Danny (Daniela). Normally, I really enjoy the dual POVs but in this case I had some issues with the character's narration. I kept asking myself if guys think and talk the way Ryan does in the story. Ryan sounded a lot like a girl trying to be a guy which really threw me off.
Here's an example:

"Danny is a virgin and she's chosen to give that sacred gift to me."

~

"I let my eyes roam and feast, memorizing the path I intend for my lips to take. I look at her navel.
Yes, I think I'll start there."

Danny's voice, on the other hand, was feminine but she came off as if trying to sound cooler than she actually was. I also had issues with some of the phrases and word choices that were said by them. It made Danny and Ryan sound outdated for some college student to be using them.

Even with these issues, I was able to finish the story fairly quickly once I got into it. I found myself wanting to know how their story ended. This was a Cinderella story with a twist but basically ended the same.

Jenn:

I basically agree with everything Nahomi said. I really wanted to love this story, I really did, but I just found it to be okay. I wasn't overly impressed with the story line or with the characters as well. I will admit that there were some passages in the book where I got a little choked up when Danny was talking about her parents but other than that it didn't really leave much of an impression on me.

Also like Nahomi, I had some issues with the characters not sounding like college aged students. Danny sounded a little older than what she is supposed to be and Ryan sounded feminine. This always seems to be a problem when female authors write from male point of views or vice versa and all it does is pull me out of the story.

"I'm excited to be with Danny in this way because then she'll truly be mine."

*raises eyebrows* I even read this line to my boyfriend and he straight up told me that no, he doesn't think or say things like this.

It really turns me off when an author's age shows through their writing since it dates the book and it why Danny and Ryan sounded older than they are supposed to be.

I believe the story had a lot of potential and I may give the others in the series a chance but it wouldn't be a top priority.