JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Flirting with Maybe by Wendy Higgins

Flirting with Maybe - Wendy Higgins

Review can be seen here on Books and Swoons .

Here's the thing, I love the concept of this novella but I just couldn't love it and enjoy it as much as I know I could have.

Brooke, the main character's love interest, pissed me off with her indecisiveness and with the ways she treated Ryan. Brooke is the kind of girl I normally dislike because she feels entitled to everything: the cool clothes, the cars, the cute boys and etc... Brooke knew all along how Ryan felt about her and she continued to act as if she didn't care. She flirted and kissed him and messed with his feelings with no care of how it might affect him. When he tried to keep his distance from her, she would act like a petulant child and cry about it until he talked to her. That is no way to treat someone you call a friend.

For Ryan's part, I really needed him to grow some balls and move on. I wanted Ryan to have a good time and enjoy his high school career instead of just pining away for Brooke the whole time. It feels like he didn't give himself a chance to really forget about Brooke. He was with his girlfriend, Michelle, even when he didn't like her. He knew he didn't care about Michelle and he still stayed in the relationship, only ending it when Brooke (conveniently) came back into his life. That's a big no-no for me.

Overall, this novella had a lot potential but the character just didn't do it for me. I couldn't help but hate Brooke and I hoped that Ryan would step up and stand up for himself and what he wanted. Unfortunately, I had expected more from Ms. Higgins considering that I really enjoyed Sweet Evil.