JennBooksandSwoons

Books and Swoons

Sharing my love for reading and swoony boys

Ann Fessler
3:59
Gretchen McNeil

Review: Plus One by Brighton Walsh

Plus One - Brighton Walsh

Review can be seen here on Books and Swoons .

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

I loved this novella. It was short, sweet and juuust right. It was exactly what I needed after reading so many YA novels back to back. Brighton Walsh knows how to weave a story and have you falling in love right alongside with the characters. And I love the story line of friends to more. It makes my girly heart sigh in contentment and have me cheering the couple on.

Olivia is the kind of female heroine that I wish I see more of in books. She's a strong and independent woman without coming off as bitch. Ian is, oh my god, he's the kind of guy you would want to end up with in real life. He is so sweet and swoony and knows what he wants and knows how to work a suit.

Olivia has been on a string of bad dates and have nine (!) weddings to attend and Ian offers to be her plus one. They have been friends for twenty years but Ian has always nurtured a crush on Olivia and it has resurfaced when he sees her all dolled up for wedding #1. For her part, Olivia has always thought that Ian was attractive but when she's sees him working his suit for the wedding, she realizes that her friend is a lot more attractive than she originally thought.

For being a novella, Olivia's and Ian's story did not feel rushed at all. Everything happened at the right time and it felt believable. Most times, I'm always turned off from a book by how rushed and unrealistic the story line feels. This was not the case withPlus One. You can tell that there is history between Olivia and Ian by how they interact with each other. You can also see when it starts becoming more than just a friend doing a favor for another friend for Olivia. And it felt very natural when Ian realized that Olivia is the woman for him. If I wasn't already a fan of Ms. Walsh's work, I would have become a fan of hers with this novella.

Plus One is a wonderful story that I can see myself going back and rereading and recommending to all my friends. I look forward to reading more of Ms. Walsh's work and falling in love with more of her heroes. I may have gotten a copy from the publisher but I went out and bought my own ebook copy and you should too!

**I received an early copy of this book through NetGalley but it did not influence this review any way.**